Farm Field Trips
Sweet Land FarmWahiawa, Oʻahu
Grade Level Served: PreK - Grade 12
Sweet Land Farm offers guided educational tours of their goat dairy farm. Sweetland Farm is located on the central plain of Oʻahu just outside of Wahiawa. The farm is situated on 86 acres of ag land, with newly built barns to house over 200 goats as well as a Creamery.
Sweet Land Farm Field Trip Highlights:
- A tour of the Dairy Barn that houses the adult milking herd and the soon-to-be milkers; The Creamery, where the goats are milked; and the Kid Barn that houses baby kid goats when in season (January-March). The rest of the year there are plenty of “teenage” goats to visit!
- The guide will explain each of the stages of raising dairy goats, basic milk production, and the purpose of each of the barns.
- The group will observe the Sweet Land Farm pasture and forage crops and learn what goats like to eat, how the crops are grown and harvested, and where and how farmstead cheeses are made by hand.
- Included in the tour is a cheese tasting of Sweet Land Farm handmade cheeses.
Field trips can be adapted to the needs and interests of the teachers and students when the field trip reservation is made. We appreciate a ratio of one supervising adult for each 5-7 students.
Starting August 21, 2018 through June 28, 2019 one tour will be offered daily on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Starting at 10:00am and depending on group size, age, and level of detail requested, the tour and tasting can last from 1 to 2 hours. The group may enjoy their lunch in a covered area with picnic tables. Cost per person is $10 for adults and children, tax is included. The fee is prepaid when the reservation is made. There is no minimum group size; however the minimum charge is based on 20 people or $200. For groups larger than 30, the group will be split into 2 or 3 smaller groups. There will be a guide assigned to each rotating group. The entire group will enjoy the cheese tasting at the same time at the conclusion of the tour.
Email: [email protected]
Farm Field Trips Resources
- ʻĀINA Farm Field Trip Resource Guide
- ʻĀINA Farm to School Resource Guide
- KHF Healthy & Waste-Free Lunches
- KHF Healthy Snacks & Waste-Free Classroom Celebrations
- Aloun Farms
- Hawai’i Institute of Pacific Agriculture
- Hoa ʻĀina O Mākaha
- Kaʻala Farm
- Kahuku Farms
- Kahumana Organic Farm
- Kākoʻo ʻŌiwi
- Keiki and Plow
- Kualoa Ranch
- Mokihana Farm (Ku’u Home Kulaiwi)
- Loko Ea Fishpond
- Mahele Farm
- MAʻO Organic Farms
- Mari’s Garden
- Naked Cow Dairy Farm & Creamery
- ‘Nalo Farms
- Na Mea Kupono
- Paepae o He‘eia
- Papahana Kuaola
- Sweet Land Farm
- Tin Roof Ranch
- Waiahole Nursery & Garden Center
- Waihuena Farm
- Waikalua Loko I‘a