Local Iʻa - Fresh, Local, Pono Seafood now available on Oʻahu!
You’ve all heard of a CSA….what about a CSF? Community Supported Fisheries are modeled after agricultural CSAs in which you get a share of seafood each week much like a share of produce each week. KHF members and volunteers receive a 10% off membership (first 4 shares of fish).
Local I‘a is a subscription-based seafood business that sources local, in-season seafood that is caught through pono fishing practices and distributed directly to consumers. Local Iʻa was established to increase the awareness of where our seafood comes from, highlight our hard working pono fishers, and provide you with healthy local seafood. Local Iʻa's business is based on pono fishing practices and providing transparency to consumers about where their seafood comes from (this is called traceability). Each share will have a barcode that you can scan - using your smart phone - which will take you to a website that shows you where your fish came from, who the fishers were, and additional information about the fish and fishery. This means it’s traceable from hook to plate.
Signing up is simple:
- Go to www.localiahawaii.com to sign up, click on “Become a CSF member” in the top right corner.
- ʻĀINA In Schools volunteers receive a 10% off membership (first 4 shares of fish). Enter promo code “aina” at the bottom of the payment plan page to receive this offer.
- Choose a pickup site that is close to your home or work – current locations include a NEW location for North Shore residents at the Red Barn Farmstand in Haleʻiwa, a Kailua location at Morning Brew, and 4 Honolulu locations.
Choose a subscription, minimum of 4 weeks (can be non-consecutive):
- Kau Share: 4-5 servings, share averages 1.5 to 2 lbs of seafood $25
- ʻOhana Share: 8-9 servings, share averages 3 to 4 lbs of seafood $45
Go to your pickup site at the designated day and time.
Follow the recipe provided (or use your own) and enjoy fresh, local, pono seafood!
Oʻahu Fresh offers an exciting fundraising opportunity to have fresh, local produce delivered to your school! Oʻahu Fresh offers a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) school fundraiser where after a one-time subscription fee of $15, the delivery cost to families is $25 per bag, with $5 from each produce bag going back to the school.
Families love the convenience of school delivery of fresh, locally grown produce; schools benefit because they make $5 with each health-promoting bag; and local farmers love connecting to new customers!
Your locally and sustainably grown CSA produce is chosen for seasonality and availability and may contain bananas, eggplant, pineapple, sweet potato, lettuce, green onions, and kalo to name just a few. There are also add-ons available such as local eggs, cheese, honey, coffee and more. Check out their website to see everything they have to offer. Interested schools may contact Matt Johnson at [email protected] for more information and to discuss setting up your school’s CSA. A minimum of 25 subscriptions per school are required to get started.