Plastic Free News
Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service - Solo Beach Cleanup
January 18th is Dr. King Jr. Day of Service! Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s actions not only led to the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act, but hand-in-hand with these came the Clean Air Act in 1963, the Clean Water Act of 1972, and the Endangered Species Act of 1973. Dr. King recognized that the great movements of his time – civil rights and environmental justice – were inexorably linked. Interconnectedness is one of the most important principles of conservation: everything you do impacts others, and even small actions have big consequences.
As Dr. King said in his 1967 Christmas sermon:
“It really boils down to this: that all life is interrelated. We are all caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied into a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly… This is the way our universe is structured, this is its interrelated quality. We aren’t going to have peace on Earth until we recognize this basic fact of the interrelated structure of all reality.”
Since PFH wonʻt be able to hold our large scale annual MLK Jr. Beach Cleanup, we invite you to honor Dr. Kingʻs legacy and put stewardship into action! We encourage your keiki and their families to hold their own Solo Beach Cleanup to honor Dr. Kingʻs legacy!
- Visit Surfrider Foundationʻs Solo Beach Cleanup Guidelines
- Sign-up & download Surfrider Foundationʻs Beach Cleanup Data Card and watch as data is collected from around the nation and recorded.
- OR create your own tally/data sheet & send PFH your total amount collected!
- Make your own micro-plastic sifter!
- What was the most unusual item found?
- Send PFH pictures of you with your haul for PFH social media postings!
@wslPURE @ForesterSea @pasopacifico @ConservationOrg @SaveTheWaves @coral_gardeners @nativelikewater @wsl… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
Posted 11 Feb
Congratulations to the 2023 WSL PURE #WeAreOneOcean Grantees! We are proud to support these incredible organization… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
Posted 10 Feb
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner! Join us this Saturday, February 11th, in the Kōkua General Store for ou… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
Posted 7 Feb
@honolulumag mahalo for checking out the Kōkua General Store⬇️⬇️⬇️
Posted 26 Jan
We are excited to announce the Spring 2023 Kōkua Learning Farm Youth Internship Program! This program is open to 20… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
Posted 10 Jan
- 09-17-19 International Coastal Cleanup
- 09-17-19 UPDATE: Ban Single-Use Plastics on Oʻahu! Support Bill 40!
- 09-17-19 Plastic Free Hawaiʻi is looking for volunteers!
- 09-17-19 Upcoming Events
- 09-17-19 Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure & Water Refill Station
- 09-17-19 Plastic Free Hawaiʻi Events Recap
- 09-17-19 Art Explorium Educator Materials
- 09-17-19 Parley’s Ocean Uprise Camp
- 09-17-19 2020 International Youth Summit on Plastic Pollution
- 12-27-18 Next Beach Cleanup January 21
- 12-27-18 2018-19 Plastic Free Hawaiʻi School Mural Contest!
- 12-27-18 First Ever Plastic Free Hawaiʻi Youth Summit
- 12-27-18 Request a Plastic Free Hawaiʻi Presentation
- 12-27-18 Straub’s Waste Reduction Efforts
- 12-27-18 BYOBowl @ Banan
- 12-27-18 Surfrider UH Club Tackling Straws
- 09-17-18 International Coastal Cleanup Day
- 09-17-18 Plastic Free Hawaiʻi Youth Summit Rescheduled
- 09-17-18 Hawaiʻi Youth Sustainability Challenge
- 09-17-18 Featured Youth Activist: Dyson Chee
- 09-17-18 Upcoming Events
- 09-17-18 Request a School Presentation
- 09-17-18 National Geographic Geo-Inquiry Training Sessions
- 09-17-18 Young Ocean Leaders Wanted!
- 06-29-18 Take the Plastic Free July Challenge
- 06-29-18 Checkout Bags to Cost $0.15 Each on Oʻahu
- 06-29-18 Featured Youth Activist: Karen Abe, ʻIolani School
- 06-29-18 Art Explorium’s Creative Reuse Open House for Educators
- 06-29-18 Surfjack Summer at the Swim Club
- 06-29-18 Moana Lani Festival & Zero Waste Summit
- 06-29-18 Free Plastic Pollution Lesson Plan
- 06-29-18 7th Annual Environmental Education Symposium
- 05-30-18 Volunteer & Partner Appreciation
- 05-30-18 Plastic Bag Ban to Include Fee on Oʻahu
- 05-30-18 June Events
- 05-30-18 Featured Youth Activist: Shannon Murphy, Kaiser High School
- 05-30-18 Plastic Free Hawaiʻi Celebrates Earth Month
- 05-30-18 Maryknoll School Cleans Makapuʻu Beach
- 05-30-18 Kualoa Beach Cleanup with Blue Zones Project
- 05-30-18 Educators: Save the Date for Creative Reuse Open House
- 05-30-18 Kōkua Hawaiʻi Foundation Volunteer & Partner Appreciation
- 05-30-18 Oʻahu ʻĀINA Educator Training for ʻEwa Schools
- 05-02-18 Beach Cleanup at Kualoa Beach Park
- 05-02-18 Plastic Free Hawaiʻi Celebrates Earth Month
- 05-02-18 Lāʻie Beach Cleanup Yields 975 Pounds of Marine Debris
- 05-02-18 Plastic Free Efforts at Punahou School
- 05-02-18 Oʻahu ʻĀINA Educator Training for ʻEwa Schools
- 03-23-18 Hawaiʻi Representation at the 6th International Marine Debris Conference
- 03-23-18 Spring Plastic Free Hawaiʻi Volunteer Training
- 03-23-18 March 31st Beach Cleanup at Lāʻie Beach Park
- 03-23-18 Hawaiʻi Foam Ban Update
- 03-23-18 Plastic Free Hawaiʻi at the Keiki Great Aloha Run
- 03-23-18 Plastic Free Hawaiʻi Makapuʻu Beach Cleanup
- 03-23-18 Hawaiʻi Businesses Switch from Plastic to Paper Straws
- 03-23-18 Youth Advocacy: SEEQS
- 03-23-18 Maui Students Attend National Youth Plastic Solutions Conference
- 03-22-18 Plastic Free Hawaii
- 03-02-18 Spring Plastic Free Hawaiʻi Volunteer Training
- 03-02-18 Plastic Free Hawaiʻi at the Keiki Great Aloha Run
- 03-02-18 Next Beach Cleanup at Lāʻie Beach Park
- 03-02-18 Plastic Free Hawaiʻi Makapuʻu Beach Cleanup