Plastic Free News
Plastic Free Hawaiʻi Events Recap
August 28, 2019
Summer’s end sizzled for Plastic Free Hawaiʻi! With water stations at several events, families and friends of Kōkua Hawaiʻi Foundation rocked their waste-free ways and enjoyed the last days of the season.
Kahala Mall’s Annual Keiki Day
Families enjoyed games and prizes at the weekend event. Children wrote Love Letters to the Sea and grown-ups learned about the ways they can be plastic free day-to-day by visiting our education station. Our Plastic Free Commitment Wall was very popular with kids and adults alike who all stated their effort to be a little more waste-free.
Want to write your own Love Letter to the Sea? Find out how here!
Surfjack Hotel & Swim Club
We had a blast at the Plastic Free Pop-Up! We were joined by a few plastic free friends including Sundaze Bikinis, a sustainable bikini brand that uses upcycled ocean plastics, and Stacey G. Jewelry, a Kailua-based brand that incorporates ocean plastics into their jewelry and wall hangings.
Other fun events included:
- EF Language School held a student beach clean up at Kawela Bay where 65 international students collected an estimated 200-lbs. of both land and marine debris.
- Queen Kapiolani Hotel’s Sunset Sessions hosted 180 attendees on July 28th. Guests sipped drinks from KHF’s Plastic Free Hawaiʻi rCups while enjoying a late afternoon of music as the sun went down. Visit our educational outreach and merchandise table at the Sunset Session on Sunday, August 25th.
Join seamstress Paula Burgess for a Mending by Hand Sewing Workshop at the Kōkua General Store on Saturday, June 3.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
Posted 31 May
We love Lei Day! We hope you can join us this Saturday May 6 at the Kōkua General Store for a talk story with Melea… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
Posted 2 May
Help us celebrate Earth Day & the Kōkua General Store's One Year Anniversary this Saturday! We will have activity t… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
Posted 19 Apr
Join us for the PFH Art Show from April 13-15, 11am- 2pm, showcasing all of the participating school murals. On Sat… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
Posted 4 Apr
@wslPURE @ForesterSea @pasopacifico @ConservationOrg @SaveTheWaves @coral_gardeners @nativelikewater @wsl… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
Posted 11 Feb
- 09-17-19 International Coastal Cleanup
- 09-17-19 UPDATE: Ban Single-Use Plastics on Oʻahu! Support Bill 40!
- 09-17-19 Plastic Free Hawaiʻi is looking for volunteers!
- 09-17-19 Upcoming Events
- 09-17-19 Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure & Water Refill Station
- 09-17-19 Plastic Free Hawaiʻi Events Recap
- 09-17-19 Art Explorium Educator Materials
- 09-17-19 Parley’s Ocean Uprise Camp
- 09-17-19 2020 International Youth Summit on Plastic Pollution
- 12-27-18 Next Beach Cleanup January 21
- 12-27-18 2018-19 Plastic Free Hawaiʻi School Mural Contest!
- 12-27-18 First Ever Plastic Free Hawaiʻi Youth Summit
- 12-27-18 Request a Plastic Free Hawaiʻi Presentation
- 12-27-18 Straub’s Waste Reduction Efforts
- 12-27-18 BYOBowl @ Banan
- 12-27-18 Surfrider UH Club Tackling Straws
- 09-17-18 International Coastal Cleanup Day
- 09-17-18 Plastic Free Hawaiʻi Youth Summit Rescheduled
- 09-17-18 Hawaiʻi Youth Sustainability Challenge
- 09-17-18 Featured Youth Activist: Dyson Chee
- 09-17-18 Upcoming Events
- 09-17-18 Request a School Presentation
- 09-17-18 National Geographic Geo-Inquiry Training Sessions
- 09-17-18 Young Ocean Leaders Wanted!
- 06-29-18 Take the Plastic Free July Challenge
- 06-29-18 Checkout Bags to Cost $0.15 Each on Oʻahu
- 06-29-18 Featured Youth Activist: Karen Abe, ʻIolani School
- 06-29-18 Art Explorium’s Creative Reuse Open House for Educators
- 06-29-18 Surfjack Summer at the Swim Club
- 06-29-18 Moana Lani Festival & Zero Waste Summit
- 06-29-18 Free Plastic Pollution Lesson Plan
- 06-29-18 7th Annual Environmental Education Symposium
- 05-30-18 Volunteer & Partner Appreciation
- 05-30-18 Plastic Bag Ban to Include Fee on Oʻahu
- 05-30-18 June Events
- 05-30-18 Featured Youth Activist: Shannon Murphy, Kaiser High School
- 05-30-18 Plastic Free Hawaiʻi Celebrates Earth Month
- 05-30-18 Maryknoll School Cleans Makapuʻu Beach
- 05-30-18 Kualoa Beach Cleanup with Blue Zones Project
- 05-30-18 Educators: Save the Date for Creative Reuse Open House
- 05-30-18 Kōkua Hawaiʻi Foundation Volunteer & Partner Appreciation
- 05-30-18 Oʻahu ʻĀINA Educator Training for ʻEwa Schools
- 05-02-18 Beach Cleanup at Kualoa Beach Park
- 05-02-18 Plastic Free Hawaiʻi Celebrates Earth Month
- 05-02-18 Lāʻie Beach Cleanup Yields 975 Pounds of Marine Debris
- 05-02-18 Plastic Free Efforts at Punahou School
- 05-02-18 Oʻahu ʻĀINA Educator Training for ʻEwa Schools
- 03-23-18 Hawaiʻi Representation at the 6th International Marine Debris Conference
- 03-23-18 Spring Plastic Free Hawaiʻi Volunteer Training
- 03-23-18 March 31st Beach Cleanup at Lāʻie Beach Park
- 03-23-18 Hawaiʻi Foam Ban Update
- 03-23-18 Plastic Free Hawaiʻi at the Keiki Great Aloha Run
- 03-23-18 Plastic Free Hawaiʻi Makapuʻu Beach Cleanup
- 03-23-18 Hawaiʻi Businesses Switch from Plastic to Paper Straws
- 03-23-18 Youth Advocacy: SEEQS
- 03-23-18 Maui Students Attend National Youth Plastic Solutions Conference
- 03-22-18 Plastic Free Hawaii
- 03-02-18 Spring Plastic Free Hawaiʻi Volunteer Training
- 03-02-18 Plastic Free Hawaiʻi at the Keiki Great Aloha Run
- 03-02-18 Next Beach Cleanup at Lāʻie Beach Park
- 03-02-18 Plastic Free Hawaiʻi Makapuʻu Beach Cleanup